Monday, October 4, 2010

Evening Cruise on San Diego Bay

Recently my in-laws purchased a boat in hopes to take it out with us on our Colorado River trips, a 15ft Tri-Hull Glastron. As well as getting some fishing time in the bays. So after fixing a few minor issues with it, my father in-law, Mike and I hooked it up to their van and headed on out to San Diego Bay to see how it ran and handled out on the water.

Arriving at the Shelter Island launch-ramp, I was glad to see the area was relatively clear of all the lobster fisherman who had probably already headed out. Once Mike had backed the trailer far enough into the water I fired up the outboard and maneuvered the boat around the dock to wait for him and his wife, Tracy. While it was a little choppy out, the visibility was good and the weather very pleasant. I motored on down to the Maritime Museum where several historic vessels were docked, including the world's oldest active ship the Star of India (which is also the place of my parent's first date), and the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum.

Maritime Museum of San Diego

Star of India

 Anyway, the old Glastron ran well and being out on the water had me wishing I had my fishing license. On the way into the dock Mike took the Captain's seat while I relaxed on the bow. Unfortunately, at one point  along the way he suddenly realized we were quickly approaching a large wake and cut the throttle, which caused the bow to plow into the oncoming swell. All I could think was "No!" as I watched, in what seemed like slow-motion, a wall of water come up over the bow and completely soak me! Yeah, they got a good laugh out of that one and Mike learned to not suddenly slow down as you crest a large swell. Good times.

I'll be looking forward to spending more time now pulling up halibut and sand bass from the bay and catfish from the river!


HMS Surprise from the movie, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, along with the Star of India.

The in-laws.

USS Midway.

Downtown San Diego skyline.



2 comments:

PhotoGirlHeather said...

looks like a fun day
i got a good laugh about the wall of water also :)

jwinc said...

If I didn't know any better, I'd say my bro planned that one for ya John! ;)