Monday, August 8, 2011

Hiking Hellhole Canyon to Maidenhair Falls Apr. 16th 2011

 A short hike from the hot, dry desert flat into a narrow canyon and to a hidden waterfall, full of mosses, vines, and trees, this tiny oasis felt like a world away. Hellhole Canyon is home to Maidenhair Falls, a seasonal 20-foot waterfall that makes a refreshing hiking destination on a hot day in the California desert.

The route in red is the one I took. The other in yellow is part of the California Riding & Hiking Trail. One I hope to do soon.

Looking back towards the trail head.

The trail begins out on the flat alluvial fan well outside the canyon containing typical California desert vegetation.

What's up with these rock stacks?
Looking back towards Borrego Springs.

Deeper into the canyon the terrain gets rockier and vegetation starts closing in.
A nice spot to relax in the shade.
Once you reach the first set of palm trees, the trail gets a bit strenuous and the vegetation turns into jungle-like thickets of palms, sycamores, canyon grape, and those pesky catclaws.

Where do I go?
My destination, Maidenhair Falls.

As usual, pictures don't do it justice.



After a bit of relaxation, it was time to head back down.
By the time I reached the trail head it had warmed up considerably, making me glad I had packed enough water. I really enjoyed this hike and look forward to returning to this desert oasis.

2 comments:

Daren Sefcik said...

I participated in the 2011 Bighorn Sheep count and we were stationed past the falls in upper Hellhole. That is an awesome place

John Graham said...

It sure is! Next time I head out there it will be in my board shorts so I can enjoy the water.