Sunday, May 4, 2014

Fishing Imperial Valley, Westside Main Canal


April was the first time I've been fishing in a while. Life has been keeping me busy with a new (and better paying) job, and my wife is due with our second child in June. We were all able to get out to the river (here) with the rest of our family early in April for some fishing and relaxation. I was also able to head out to the Westside Main Canal with my brother-in-law, Nick, a few weeks ago to see what we could catch, starting at the end of the All American Canal just north of the U.S./Mexican border and making our way north to Evan Hewes Highway S80 in Imperial Valley. We caught plenty of bass (and even a little channel catfish) on jigs and lures. The only thing we managed to catch on cut bait was a turtle. It was a fun day!

Headwaters of the Westside Main Canal.

There are plenty of little bass in this canal..



Fishing under the Highway 98 bridge.

One of several smallmouth bass we caught.

Nick and I contemplated jumping into the water here to cool off. Maybe next time.
  
Fishing under Interstate 8 bridge.

This Texas spiny softshell turtle was the only thing I caught on cut bait. 

Oh, looks like I caught myself!

We stopped at each bridge along the way figuring the fish would be holding to structure here.

Looking forward to heading out here again and fishing some of the larger canals at night.

No comments: