Sunday, May 20, 2012

Anza Borrego - Carrizo Gorge Rail Road Camp - Petrified Wood Hunting


I decided to take a short notice trip out to the desert to check out an abandoned railroad camp in the southern end of the park. The ruins were built to support the construction of the San Diego & Eastern Arizona Railroad through Carrizo Gorge. One wall of the camp still standing is constructed of old rusty blasting powder cans and mortar. Afterwards, I headed out east of Carrizo Mountain to look for petrified wood. On the way home I stopped to check out a few sections of the old concrete highway 80 built in the 30's and the old stage coach trail in Devils Canyon. It was nice to get out.

Start of the trail off Highway S2, East of Ocotillo.

Use caution around this info board. There's a large bee hive under the awning.

The beginning of the trail is easy but it gets rockier.

Into the desert.

I found the old workers camp.




More ruins closer to the tracks.

I made a short stop to one of the many tunnels. 

On my way out. 


There's an old indian camp near here. I'll have to hike back there someday.

There was a group of mountain bikers getting ready to ride the tracks here.


At this point I've left State Park land and headed into the adjacent Yuha Desert.

On Old Highway 80 heading towards Ocotillo.

You don't want to drive too fast along this old road...

My hunting grounds.

I got wood!



New power lines.

There are large hills of fossilized reefs and shellfish throughout the area.

A section of Old Hwy 80 off Mountain Springs overlooking I-8.

This is a good spot to stop and hike the surrounding areas.

Hike down this slope, under the freeway and up the wash to find an old stone cabin.

Some of the petrified wood pieces I found.

2 comments:

Daren Sefcik said...

All great areas you visited, there is supposed to be second stone cabin near the island of Mtn Spings but I have not gotten there yet. In case you did not know the entire Ocotillo area is about to be destroyed with 450' wind turbines. On your next Mortero Wash trip you will have lovely views of nothing but wind generators. If you want to try and help stop them here is a link to get started
http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/node/9732

John Graham said...

Thanks for the info, Daren! I've heard about that and would hate to see the beauty of our local desert ruined by this.