Saturday, December 31, 2016

Hike #44 Iron Mountain Night Hike

52 Hike Challenge 2016 Adventure Series

5.5 miles | +1100'






Iron Mountain is the southernmost peak in a small mountain complex that divides the city of Poway from the sprawling semi-rural community of Ramona. The peak itself is one of the most popular hikes in San Diego, and the ease of access and moderate gain present a hike that is both reasonably accessible and reasonably challenging at the same time. Throw in great panoramic views, and you have a great hiking experience within reasonable driving distances of most of San Diego.


I was able to tag along with a local hiking group for a sunset/night hike for this one. It's been quite a while since I've been on a night hike and this one didn't disappoint. I may have enjoyed a few tequila shots at the summit. There were also plenty of critters out and about. I think I'd like to get a group together for a similar trek up Cuyamaca Peak... I'll bring the summit beers!

No comments: